Home News IMPROVED SAFETY ON COLAC-BALLARAT ROAD

IMPROVED SAFETY ON COLAC-BALLARAT ROAD

460
SHARE

MORE than $1 million in road safety improvement works have been completed on Colac-Ballarat Road, providing a safer road and a smoother drive for the local community. Luke Donnellan, Minister for Roads and Road Safety and Geoff Howard, Member for Buninyong visited the Cambrian Hills site last Friday to inspect the recently completed works.

The surface of Colac-Ballarat Road was rough and had surface cracking which was becoming a safety concern.

Colac-Ballarat Road has been strengthened with a thick layer of crushed rock which is then compacted and resealed. By improving the strength and the surface of the road, these improvements will improve safety and driveability. The works at Enfield are also now complete, with the Andrews Labor Government committed to delivering further improvements to Colac-Ballarat Road.

Not only are we delivering new job creating projects but we’re also upgrading and maintaining our existing roads, Mr Donnellan said. “Improving road conditions will ensure that Colac and Ballarat maintain and increases opportunities for economic advancement.” Mr Howard added that the Colac-Ballarat Road is an important route for local families and businesses. “By improving the strength and surface of the road, it will be a smoother and safer drive for the local community,” he said. “These improvements will make a significant difference to the almost 3,000 vehicles that drive along Colac-Ballarat Road each day.”

The Labor Government’s Project 10,000 plan will deliver much needed funding for the repair and upgrade of roads in regional Victoria while creating local jobs. Mr Donnellan also urged residents who still had safety concerns about the road to continue to raise the issue with Mr Howard and the state government.

Drawn into the conversation on the relocation of VicRoads from its present site in Kew, Mr Donnellan said that there was no decision being made on that at this stage. “No decision has been made and no work had been undertaken by the former government on that proposition, there was no brief, no costings it was a thought bubble,” he said. “There was nothing at all, there was nothing at VicRoads, there was nothing in the Department of Transport, nothing, there was a press release from the premier and that’s it. “At this stage VicRoads is looking at many issues due to relocation, it’s an old site in Kew and they’ve merged some staff to Spring Street Melbourne, that’s executive staff, but there hasn’t been any decisions made where VicRoads goes next.”